I have a confession. I’m an office supply addict. It started early on with a school supply obsession and grew to its fullest potential when I became a teacher seven years ago. Nothing better than a fresh pack of flair pens and colorful post-its , amen?
That being said, it’s no surprise that one thing I look forward to every year is choosing a new planner. Not all planners are created equally, though. It’s rare I find one that meets all my criteria, but I think I have finally found the one!
This one by DaySpring is a gorgeous faith based 18-month planner that includes monthly devotionals and reflections. It literally checks every single item on my criteria list (as you’ll see below).
So here’s my list of the top 5 things I need in a planner:
1. It has to be pretty. Yes, I do judge this book by its cover. If it’s something I’m going to be using on the daily for the next 12-18 months, I want it to be something I enjoy looking at. A pretty planner invites me in each day to write and plan and dream…and sometimes to remember all that I didn’t get accomplished that day. But hey, that’s life.
This planner is gorgeous! The cover is super thick and sturdy, and the floral print with gold foil detail is so pretty.
2. It has to feature full year, month and day views. I like to see the year at a glance to plan ahead, write monthly events like birthdays, holidays, gatherings, etc. on the full month view, and then my to-do lists and agenda go in the daily section.
3. It has to have sufficient writing space for each day. This seems like a no-brainer, but I’ve seen so many planners that don’t have enough space to write all that I need to write for the day and it’s frustrating to try to squeeze it all in a tiny box. Monday items cannot bleed over onto Tuesday items, am I right?
I love how this planner has check boxes next to the lines (so satisfying!) on the daily view, plus plenty of space to write.
4. It has to have a place holder. I like the elastic bands that are attached to the planner the best, because then I can’t loose them. (Which has definitely happened a time or two when I’ve used those cute little paper clip holders).
5. It has to have inspirational quotes or some other added life-giving bonus. In the midst of planning, I can get anxious about all that is to come and how I’ll manage all the details in between. It helps to have a weekly and monthly reminder of truth to ground me in perspective.
The DaySpring Devotional Planner has gorgeous monthly scripture pages that align with a devotional. It also features a monthly reflection page, a weekly scripture focus, a place to record notes of gratitude, and a goal and progress tracking section. SO many useful tools to help stay on track in your faith life and your day to day to do’s.
If you’re interested in the planner I showed above, you can grab one here. It was just released for pre order and DaySpring is offering some special perks if you get it during the pre order period. (Now until June 3rd)
What are some must-have items you look for in a planner? I’d love to hear below!